The Norman lust for battle and ravenous desire for land and treasure can, like their famous sword, be undoubtedly traced to their Viking forefathers who wrenched their homeland in northwestern France from the hands of Charles the Simple in the Treaty of Saint-Clair-sur-Epte in 911 AD. Never satisfied with their lot, it was not long before they once again took up their broad, double-edged swords and set sail across the English Channel to conquer Britain, most famously at the battle of Hastings in 1066 AD.
Now Cold Steel is pleased to offer a battle ready version of this famous sword. Like the original and the trainer weapons based off its design, this combat sword offers a long, wide blade with fully sharpened edges and a very useful point. Light enough to easily wield with one hand, a single broad fuller in the center of the blade lessens the weight, improves balance, and adds the stiffness needed to withstand heavy blows. The hilt of our Norman Sword is also reminiscent of many surviving originals with upturned, spatulated quillons, a leather-over-wood grip, and a modified cocked hat pommel. This pommel shape was specially chosen because it allows more room for the hand, while counter-balancing the blade and serving as a weapon in its own right.
- A classic medieval sword design
- Great for reenactments, training, and combat
- Double-edged blade is broad and long
- Fuller down length reduces weight and improves balance
- Hilt has upturned quillons and counter-balancing pommel
- Includes matching scabbard
- Blade is made from 1060 carbon steel
- Wood grip is wrapped in leather
- Blade Length: 30 Inches
- Overall Length: 37.25 Inches
- Weight: 35.8 oz.
- Handle Length: 7.25 Inches