The Naginata, famed weapon of the Sohei, or warrior monks, of medieval Japan was fearsome in the hands of a skilled combatant and is today of great importance in the martial arts field. Our naginata (SH1020), while retaining its traditional qualities, has been revised to better meet the needs of the martial arts practitioner qualified to use an edged weapon.
Hand forged in 1065 high-carbon steel and edge tempered, using a traditional claying method, the naginata blade is at least the equal of the originals. Mounted on a long tang to better absorb the shock of a blow, the blade has a strong distal taper for balance and quickness. The delicately engraved tsuba features a silver butterfly motif. The one-piece staff (ebu) is very strong, featuring a traditional tear-drop cross-section for easy recognition of blade orientation and a black non-slip finish for better control of the weapon. The naginata is supplied with a wooden saya and cloth bag.
Made by Hanwei.
- Hand forged high-carbon steel blade
- Edge tempered
- Tear-drop cross-section for correct blade orientation
- Blade Length: 20.25 Inches
- Handle Length: 55.5 Inches
- Overall Length: 76.75 Inches
- Weight: 4 lbs. 10 oz.
- Thickness at Guard: 0.305 Inches
- Specs will vary slightly from piece to piece.