The wakizashi, or Japanese short sword, was worn with the longer katana. When the pair matched in theme, they were considered a Daisho. However, when the katana was surrendered upon entering a home, the wakizashi was not, making it truly the side-arm of the Samurai!
The tsuba of the Limited Edition Bamboo Wakizashi is hand-cut and engraved from pure iron. The nanako, or stippled pattern, on the tsuba is done by hand, a feat of patience with a stunning result. The tsuba features seki-gane, metal inserts at the top and bottom of the hole, for the blade to slip through. These are softer copper metal than the iron of the tsuba and allow easier shaping of the hole to fit the tsuba to the blade. Over time if the fit becomes loose or the tsuba is fitted to another blade, the seki-gane may be adjusted to tighten it back up. This is a detail usually found on hand-made Japanese tsuba and is indicative of the level of care and craftsmanship given to the sword. The tsuka, or handle, and saya, or scabbard, are hand-carved to fit each blade. The handle is wrapped in genuine silk from Japan and tightly wrapped around the full same-gawa, or ray skin wrap, around the wooden core. The saya is lacquered in black to a semi-gloss finish with a ray skin wrap near the mouth of the saya to strengthen this area.
Extremely limited numbers will be produced - 20 only! Each blade is signed on the tang with the model and number and includes a stamped certificate of authenticity.
- Hand-forged from 1075 high carbon steel
- Limited Edition - only 20 produced!
- Features bamboo themed decorations
- Hand-carved pure iron fittings
- Handle wrap is silk
- Includes saya with semi-gloss finish
- Samegawa is genuine ray skin
- Pairs well with the Bamboo Citadel Katana (SC4003)
- A great, functional sword
- Overall Length: 29.5 Inches
- Blade Length: 21.25 Inches
- Weight: 1 lb. 9 oz.
- Specs may vary from piece to piece.