The advent of heavy plate armour meant that the traditional medieval sword had to change or be left behind. Swords like this 14th Century Gothic Sword with Scabbard were an innovation in functionality, thanks to their great versatility. With its strong and stiff blade acutely tapering from a broad base, this weapon exceled at breaking through armor and wounding the opponent by putting weight behind every swing. Its solid, narrow point could easily slip through gaps in plated armor. This swords blade is dual hardened and forged from 5160 high carbon steel. The sword features a bright brass guard with semi-straight quillons that curve towards the blade near the tips. A matching brass wheel pommel counterbalances the blade. The swords full-length tang runs through the entire length of the wooden, leather wrapped grip and is peened at the pommel for added strength. This Gothic sword comes with a wood scabbard, wrapped in black leather to match the grip, perfect for keeping the blade safe and secure when not in use. No sword belt is included, so you are free to carry it on your own favorite sword belt or baldric. This 14th Century Gothic Sword with Scabbard is a faithful reproduction of the historical arming sword, as well as a reproduction of an actual medieval sword on display in the Royal Ontario Museum. More than that, though, it is also a fully functional historical replica made for any swordsman who wants to sheer through mail and thrust through plate just like the knights of old.
Please be aware that this sword is hand forged, and as such, its finish and its overall measurements can vary slightly from what is shown here. Also be aware that this sword is made to be practical, tough, and hardy, and its finish, being hammered and hand forged, can sometimes feature marks from the forging process.
- Based on a 14th century sword on display in the Royal Ontario Museum
- A fully functional and extremely hardy sword
- Steel is dual hardened to a Rockwell of 53
- Full-length, peened tang provides immense durability
- Leather-wrapped grip ensures a solid hold
- Includes a leather-wrapped wood scabbard
- Blade is hand forged from 5160 high carbon steel
- Grip and wood scabbard are wrapped in leather
- Total Length: 34.5 Inches
- Blade Length: 27.5 Inches
- Grip Length: 4.75 Inches
- Point of Balance: 4.25 Inches from Guard
- Blade Width (at base): 3 Inches
- Weight: 2 lbs. 7 oz.